With the difficult economy many face today, below are suggestions for inexpensive family activities.
- Volunteer as a family for a charity that you believe in, i.e. soup kitchen, women’s shelter, etc. It gives the whole family a way you can share the experience while not spending any money and at the same time you can feel great about helping others.
- A day at the park – fly a kite, ride a bike, etc.
- Use the library to borrow books and movies
- Go on a picnic instead of eating at a restaurant
- A day at a public beach and bring lunch
- Playground – there are many great free public playscapes for children
- Let the children have a sleep over for friends
- Take a hike together
- Board games, card games
- Do crafts together – there are many at low cost
- See plays for free by volunteering as an usher. Many theaters will let you see the show if you help with the paying patrons.
©Nancy Butler, September 2011